Happy Independence Day here in Finland (hyvää Itsenäisyyspäivää and trevlig Självständighetsdag) and also a blissful 2. Advent today! 6 December means opening a new window as well, so let’s breeze straight to the cross-stitched snowflake I’ve made for you.
To make a similar-sized project you’ll need:
- For the snowflake:
- Fabric: a small piece of linen – I used 28-count Cashel linen by Zweigart from our shop (coming soon!), approximately 7 cm or 2,75″ squared
- Thread: embroidery thread – I used two strands of DMC mouliné (number 25) in colour BLANC (white) (coming soon!)
- Pattern: download Snowflake here – it’s intended for your personal use only
- Needle: tapestry needle size 24 or 26 – we have variants in our shop: size 24, size 26 and an assortment of 24 and 26
- Scissors: embroidery scissors are nice as the tip isn’t too large – find a stork pair in our shop
- Needle threader: optional but incredibly helpful – find a 3-in-1 type by DMC in our shop
Stitch away. The pattern is for confident beginners 🙂 (Wanna learn cross stitch with an academic twist where I talk about weave density and such to empower you to stitch all the beginner and intermediate-level projects? Get in touch! I’m planning an e-course and live workshops.)
This finishes at a tiny size so blow it up the same way as the Woven Heart (link to gallery below) and you have a simple decoration for napkins, napkin rings of fabric, placemats and table runners, decorations for the Christmas tree or maybe seasonal lavender pouches for your wardrobe.
And how do I intend to use mine? Well, I thought my hardware pieces were larger so cut a circle of my project, except the one size was way too small (think button-sized suitable for needle minders) and the other a large thing intended as a wearable paper or fabric art piece with safety pin on the back. So now I don’t know, but maybe a solution will come to me how to put it together as a fridge magnet for seasonal decorational purposes. Because that was the finished project I had in mind and now I don’t see my dainty snowflake as anything else. Know the feeling?
24 Calendar Windows
Find all blog posts of our calendar in this gallery:
Will you make your own snowflake? Please show us on Instagram using our #senttijatuuma hashtag!