You’re hereby challenged to join me in daily free-motion quilting (FMQ) in May! Keep reading for details and a hint about a prize.
If you’re like me, you’ve never done free-motion quilting (haha, it’s true, it scares the crap out of me). If you’re like I will be by the end of May, you’ve tried it a bit, but might feel like you lack practice. What to do?
Take the Craftsy class 28 Days to Better Free-Motion Quilting (link to class page) hosted by the legendary Angela Walters, and compiled of 28 different quilting motifs from various classes on the platform.
Your to-do list:
- At the time of writing their Premium membership is a true bargain, less than a cup of coffee brewed by a barista, so don’t wait to sign up!
- Grab the class materials.
- Download the five-page worksheet (click here!) I put together for you to make notes when you increase your library of patterns to use in the future: what worked, what needs more practice, what did you not enjoy at all? And which motifs felt like a warm hug?
- Today, 2 May, is day 0 and we start tomorrow on 3 May with day 1 of quilting motifs.
- Designs can be as small as you like, but it seems like a 12″ square or so is enough to work with. Materials for each block: quilt top, batting, and quilt backing.
- On the worksheet you’ll find a day 29 and “QAYG” mentioned. The Quilt-As-You-Go portion of individual blocks is what you create during the challenge. If you want a sampler quilt of 7×4 blocks or for example 48″ x 84″ you can refer back to, I’ll give simple instructions for putting together these blocks with sashing.
- Don’t overthink, but join me!
The little I’ve watched so far is seriously good, for beginners and more advanced quilters alike. I’ve already spotted some designs I would love to learn well so they can become staples in my library of skills, and believe you could discover gems of your own.
It’s also a fantastic opportunity to sample different teaching styles if you’re looking for new adventures in FMQ. And if you’ve never taken classes on Craftsy, I can reveal it’s where I’ve learned the bulk of what I know of quilting today. There are many other topics to explore, too, and I find the Premium membership more affordable than buying individual classes.
To enter the giveaway of an amazing prize you must post all 28 motifs on Instagram by 31 May.
Use the hashtag #senttijatuuma to enter, and #28DaystoBetterFMQ can’t hurt either.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your unwanted prints, any solids you find difficult to incorporate anywhere, and get sewing with me. Share your progress on Insta so we can cheer each other on!
Questions? Post in the comments or use our Contact page for a private comvo.