On 2 December we open the second window of our 2020 Advent Calendar here on the blog and today a woven heart in true Nordic style is revealed. Traditionally it’s been made of paper in two different colours and to allow this little basket to hang from the branch of a Christmas tree, the final touch would be to add a handle on top. But here we leave our cross stitched heart as is. Keep reading for instructions and a pattern of your own!
To make a similar-sized project you’ll need:
- For the heart:
- Fabric: a small piece of linen – I used 28-count Cashel linen by Zweigart from our shop (coming soon!), approximately 10 cm or 4″ squared
- Thread: embroidery thread – I used two strands of DMC mouliné (number 25) in colours 817 (red) and BLANC (white)
- Pattern: download Woven Heart here – it’s intended for your personal use only
- Needle: tapestry needle size 24 or 26 – we have variants in our shop: size 24, size 26 and an assortment of 24 and 26
- Scissors: embroidery scissors are nice as the tip isn’t too large – find a stork pair in our shop
- Needle threader: optional but incredibly helpful – find a 3-in-1 type by DMC in our shop
This pattern assumes you are a confident beginner with skills to sew on your own. If you’re a novice, please get in touch if our up-coming courses interest you!
A bonus pattern is therefore provided only in words and an image below: multiply each stitch in the pattern by four and you’ll sew an enlarged project:
24 Calendar Windows
Find all blog posts of our calendar in this gallery:
Will you make your own heart? Please show us on Instagram using our #senttijatuuma hashtag!